On Saturday mornings from 9 am-10 am, I'm
privileged to be a "coach's wife". Yes, Vance is the proud Upward basketball coach for 7 precious five-year-
olds. Team Tigers has just started out the season and their games are the cutest thing you have ever seen. I knew that it was going to be an interesting season when Vance came home from the first practice with stories of kids learning how to dribble and shooting the ball backwards instead of forward. Then there were others who were more concerned with "swimming on the floor" and "star wars fighting" than basketball skills. When it came to game time, the first game was a little rough. Although we "don't keep score" in upward, my competitive spirit came out so I knew and informed Vance that we lost our first game 20-8. Next practiced was focused on shooting fowards and into the correct basket. However, it isn't as easy as it sounds. Before they shoot, they have to be told which basket to move towards, then told to dribble down the court. Now there is always the
potential situation that before the ball makes it to the basket it could be taken away (they literally grab the ball away from each other and start running with it) by the other team or another team member at which point they have to be reminded that they're on the same team. So it's a process to even get the ball close to the hoop. That gives you a little idea of how the games go. I've posted pictures below from Saturday.
Getting ready for the game-both teams wear colored wristbands, the kids guard the player on the opposite team who has the same color wristband. Not sure if they even pay attention to this...

Giving direction about what needs to be done when throwing the ball in. Notice the goals are 7 ft.
Placing them into position again-Vance stays on the court with them.
And again....
The excitement of the bench...

At the first game, one of the parents asked me which child was mine. I confidently pointed to Vance and said, "The tall blonde one". He's a kid at heart which is a quality that I love, admire and appreciate. I'm so proud to sit in the crowd and watch my husband direct his team no matter how many times they fall asleep on the bench, get the ball taken away or shoot at the wrong basket!
6 comments:
That is so cute! What a fun and rewarding way to spend a Saturday Morning. I can't wait to hear more about these adventures
Hey Kala (& Vance)!
I ran across your blog on another blog list... glad to be able to keep in touch! Our blog is: www.traveledroad.wordpress.com Tell Savannah Village hi for us!
Lindsay (& Mike)
Vance is so funny. I know he is a great coach, he is very patient. I would love for Cade to be on his team.
Kala! I'm glad you have a blog so I can keep up with you guys. I gave into the pressure as well. It's fun though!
just found your blog...hope things are going well with yall!
Hey Guys, It's Andrew Lee!
Hey there!
Hope all is well, and that you're staying warm this winter!
Well, Whitney and I are ENGAGED, and we'll be getting married May 23rd, 2009, in her hometown of Napoleonville, LA (between Baton Rouge and New Orleans).
I need your FULL name and address so we can send you an invitation, and I would love to know if you think you can join us. It should be a wonderful wedding and reception, and we look forward to having you!
Look forward to hearing from you!
--Andrew
andrewlee82@gmail.com
Post a Comment