Tuesday, February 10, 2009

First Name Basis

I'm sorry, I knew this would happen. I pulled you in, then I left you hanging for a month without a single hello. I was just waiting to bring you the perfect blogging event- and I think it happened on Friday.

It was a normal Friday afternoon at Greystone. The lunch rush was over at 2 pm and it was now around 2:30. I was at the receptionist desk going over information for our Valentine's Dinner when a man walked through the front door. He was nicely dressed- khaki pants, white shirt and navy sport coat, but there was something a little suspicious about him, he had an earpiece. He was looking around, when I kindly said "Hello sir, can I help you find something?" then the conversation went a little bit like this....

Man with earpiece: "Well, yes, there is a state representative in the neighborhood looking at houses and she would like to take a tour of the clubhouse."

K: "Oh! Well, I would be happy to show her around. Do you mind if I ask who it is?"

Man with earpiece: "Not at all. It's Condoleeza Rice." (He was so nonchalant about the whole thing)

K: GASP. With my eyes as big as saucers I said, "CONDOLEEZA RICE is coming HERE- to GREYSTONE?!"

MWE: With a little chuckle, "Yes, she's coming here."

K: Trying to slow down my out-of-control heart rate that was loud enough for both of us to hear, "TODAY?"

MWE: "Um, Yes ma'am, in just a few minutes she'll walk through the door."

K: "Ok! Well, if you'll excuse me, I need to go put on some lipstick."

Not ten minutes later, three cars pull up to the clubhouse and unload 10 Secret Service agents, Dr. Rice, 4 family members, and a multitude of advisers, assistants, etc.

Wow.

As they all shuffle into the building, I anxiously think about what I'm going to say. I mean- this is it- my big chance. I'm meeting a lady who calls the President of the United States her friend, who's initiated diplomatic efforts with some of the most dangerous countries/rulers in the world, and who knows United States intelligence secrets like the back of her hand. What can I say that will make an impression?

"Good afternoon Dr. Rice. It is such and honor to meet you and have you here at Greystone."

"Oh thank you Kala (yes, she looked at my name tag and said my name). You can call me Condi!"

REALLY KALA?? That's the best you could do? - Ok. So I got stage fright. Now I'm looking back thinking of all the things I should've said... but HELLO, I'm on a first-name basis with the former Secretary of State! How many people can say that. While she was being so friendly, I should've just invited her over to the house for dinner!

That was pretty much the end of our conversation, but what a privilege it was for me to meet this kind woman. At the time, my mom told me to get my camera and go take a picture with her. In her exact words, "Oh KALA... just go do it!". I just couldn't get up the nerve. Mom's always right- now I wish I had. It's not everyday a powerful person like Condi walks through the door and shakes your hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a story! That is amazing. Maybe she will buy a house there and you'll get plenty more chances for pictures with her!

Makenzi said...

That is amazing! What a day:)